The 4castplus App Link for Invoicing provides you with the ability to Export your project invoices to your QuickBooks, quickly and efficiently. Exporting your 4castplus project invoices, through the QuickBooks Integration, involves three components:
- 4castplus QuickBooks App Link
- Quickbooks Pro 2012 or higher (desktop version only)
In order to Export invoices, all three components - 4castplus, the App Link and Quickbooks Pro 2012 - must be open.
Now, let's get into the workflow for how you export your project invoices.
The first step in the workflow is to prepare your project invoicing. When preparing your invoicing, there is nothing different in the workflow to set up your project invoices for Export to QuickBooks. A few notes to keep in mind:
- Only Committed invoices will be available for Export to QuickBooks 2012.
Because Committed invoices are "locked down" for any further edit, be very certain that you are ready to Commit an invoice and prepare for Export to Quickbooks. Make sure that the 'Commit' step is an identified step of your project invoicing, and project management, process.
Select Invoices for Export
Once you have logged in to the App Link, the first screen that you will see is the QuickBooks Invoice Integration screen, where you will select your invoices for exporting.
- Select the invoices that you wish to Export to QuickBooks.
- Click on Export to move to the Configuration screen, or Close App Link to log out.
I don't see an invoice I need to export?
The invoices that you see in the App Link are all the committed project invoices. An invoice must be committed before it will be available for invoicing. Click on the Refresh button to pull in any new invoices which may have been committed after opening the App Link.
The next step in the Export is to configure, or map, your 4castplus data fields to your QuickBooks data fields.
Configure/Map 4castplus & QuickBooks
- Click on Configure. The QuickBooks Configuration screen opens up.
Let's take a look at the mapping fields in the QuickBooks Configuration screen, and the steps to map your data.
Step 1 - Select your Mapping Options for export to your QuickBooks Items List
You can choose different options for how to export your billable 4castplus transactions to your QuickBooks Items List:
- By Resource Class: This option will map your transactions by their Resource, or Billable Class. For example, a transaction for John Smith/Project Manager 2 will require you to map Project Manager transactions to a QuickBooks Items List
- By Resource Class Category: This option will map your transactions by their Resource Class Category. For example, a transaction for John Smith/Project Manager 2 who works in the Project Management department (Category) will require you to map Project Management to a QuickBooks Items List.
- By Resource Type: This option will map your transactions by the type of resource. For example, a transaction for John Smith/Project Manager 2, which is a Labor Resource Type transaction, will require you map Labor to a QuickBooks Items List.
Step 1 (optional) - Select your Mapping Options for export to your QuickBooks Class List
In addition to mapping your transactions to the QuickBooks Items List, which then records against a specific general ledger code, you can take advantage of the Class functionality in QuickBooks, and create an additional mapping of your 4castplus data to your QuickBooks Class List.
Just as with the mapping for your QuickBooks Items List, the same options are available for you to map to your QuickBooks Class List, with the addition of no mapping at all.
Step 2 - Map 4castplus to QuickBooks Items List
Now that you have selected your desired export option, you will need to map your 4castplus data to your QuickBooks Items List
- For each 4castplus data field (Labor, Equipment, Materials, Expenses, Discounts and Surcharges), provide the QuickBooks Items List that the 4castplus data needs to map to.
The QuickBooks Items List that you provide in the App Link MUST be exactly the same as the labelling in QuickBooks. Otherwise, you will receive an error that the data field in the Items List could not be found and your export will fail.
Step 2 (optional) Map 4castplus to QuickBooks Class List
The App Link does not have any fields for mapping of 4castplus to your QuickBooks Class List; the configuration of these fields is maintained in both 4castplus and QuickBooks (with the exception of Expenses, see below). The use of the Class List option requires that the Class List be set up in QuickBooks and also be set up in 4castplus:
- None: No mapping to the QuickBooks Class List is required.
- Resource Class: Resource Classes defined in 4castplus must be the same as the fields in the QuickBooks Class List. For example, Project Manager 2 must be set up as both a Resource Class in 4castplus and part of the Class List in QuickBooks.
- Resource Class Category: Resource Class Category defined in 4castplus must be the same as the fields in the QuickBooks Class List. For example, Project Management must be set up as both a Category in 4castplus and part of the Class List in QuickBooks
- Resource Type: Resource Types (Labor, Equipment, Materials and Expenses) are already defined in 4castplus, and must be set up in the QuickBooks Class List. For example, Labor must be set up as part of the Class List in QuickBooks
Why do I have to map Expenses, Discounts and Surcharges to a QuickBooks Class List?
If you have selected to export Resource Class Category transactions to the QuickBooks Class List, you will need to map which QuickBooks Class List item to map your Expenses, Discounts and Surcharges to. The reason for this is that in 4castplus, Expenses, Discounts and Surcharges do not have a 'Category' associated with them. Categories are only associated, or set up, for Labor, Equipment and Material. If you have selected the Resource Class Category option for mapping to the QuickBooks Class List, another field will be presented to you for mapping.
Step 2 Adjustments
If you have used the Adjustments field in 4castplus (pre- or post-tax), you will need to provide the QuickBooks Item List mapping for these transactions.
Step 3 Export
Once you have completed your Configuration, and have selected your Invoices for Export:
When your export has completed successfully, you will receive an alert that the transactions have been exported and the QuickBooks Export Log ID that the transactions were exported on.
Export Audit Trail
The Export Audit Trail in Business Intelligence provides you with a log of all QuickBooks Exports. To view the QuickBooks Export Audit Trail:
- Open Business Intelligence
- Select Finance/HR Reports in your navigation tree.
- Select Invoice Export Audit Trail.
- Select a date range. The Document # of your Export, the Export Date and the Total amount of your Export will be listed.
- Click on a Document row to view the exported Invoice and Invoice Detail.
Export errors will occur when:
- Customer names in 4castplus and QuickBooks differ
- Projects in 4castplus are not set up as Jobs in QuickBooks
- 4castplus Mapping fields do not exist in QuickBooks
When errors occur, you will receive a notification of the data that needs to be corrected. The export will not be successful, and your invoices will remain in the Export Invoices screen for export selection.